News > Indian News

"Conspiracy...": D Fadnavis, Opposition Trade Jabs Amid Nagpur Violence

Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and the opposition traded fierce attacks Tuesday, hours after violence in Nagpur over calls to move the tomb of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb out of the state.

Mr Fadnavis and his deputy, Eknath Shinde, claimed a "premeditated conspiracy... to target specific houses and establishments" and said 'Chhava', a new Hindi movie about the war between Chhatrapati Shivaji's son, Sambhaji, and Aurangzeb's Mughal forces, had "ignited people's anger".

The Chief Minister blamed the violence on rumours spread Monday evening - of a religious symbol on a symbolic grave - and told the Assembly, "We got a trolley of stones from the violence spots - some specified houses and institutions were targeted.

One Deputy Commissioner was attacked with an ax... those who took the law into their hands will not be spared. Attacks on the police will not be tolerated."

He also said complaints from Muslim individuals had been noted.

Mr Shinde - who was Chief Minister till a demotion following last year's election - backed his boss, claiming a "pre- planned conspiracy to target people belonging to a specific community".

However, his remarks, to reporters outside the Assembly, were much stronger, including a declaration that "patriotic Muslims will never support Aurangzeb" and branding those praising him "traitors" and calling his grave - in Chhatrapati Sambhaji Nagar, earlier called Aurangabad - a "blot on Maharashtra".

"Who is Aurangzeb? Is he a saint? Has he done any good work? One should read the history of Chhatrapati Sambhaji Maharaj and watch 'Chhava'.

They tortured Chhatrapati Sambhaji Maharaj for 40 days. Aurangzeb was a traitor...protestors are protesting for the pride of Chhatrapati Sambhaji Maharaj".

Neither Mr Fadnavis nor Mr Shinde referred specifically to the opposition in their comments, but Shiv Sena MP Naresh Mhaske was rather more straightforward, declaring, "Opposition leaders in Maharashtra had been saying there will be riots. This looks like conspiracy of the opposition."

Nagpur's Lok Sabha MP, Union Minister Nitin Gadkari, was more circumspect in his remarks, saying "certain rumours" had led to religious tension in the city. "The city is known for maintaining peace in such matters. I urge my brothers not to believe rumours... " he said in a video released by his office.

Shiv Sena leader Aaditya Thackeray has led the opposition's pushback, accusing the BJP-led ruling alliance of "an attempt to make a Manipur of Maharashtra".

"We don't see any tourism... with such an environment, a similar trend might take place here," he said, referring to nearly two years of ethnic violence in the BJP-ruled state, which has seen 250 people killed and nearly 50,000 displaced.

Meanwhile, the opposition - led by the Shiv Sena group helmed by ex-Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray - has also alleged a "conspiracy", but this time by the BJP itself to divide society on religious lines and stall any development work in the state.

Sena MP Priyanka Chaturvedi said, "This was a conspiracy... executed under a well-thought-out political strategy by those who have issues with Maharashtra. This narrative, which originated in Delhi, was brought here and implemented... there is a clear backdrop of provocation."

Her colleague, Aaditya Thackeray, posted on X, "Law and order of the state has collapsed like never before. Nagpur, home city of Chief Minister and Home Minister, is facing this problem."

A curfew has been imposed in several areas of Nagpur.

Source:ndtv

indian mirror

author

news

Article comments

Leave a Reply